Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Picked Up My New Business Cards Today


I'm a little nervous. I'm trying to quickly take a photo of my new business cards for this post, and it's not working. I think that "quickly" is the key term here. I’m trying to get a blog-worthy shot on a cloudy evening in my barely-lit dining room. And with my phone, even. My options now are either to take the whole shebang outside or give up on the shot. I haven’t decided which I will do yet, but if you scroll down right now, you will be able to tell immediately which I chose.

I have much to do tonight in order to get ready for my photography booth event on Saturday. If I don't get things printed tonight, I'm out of time until Friday night, when it will be too late to let the images dry for 24 hours before I put them in sleeves. The other problem is that I'm out of ink again. My very-fancy printer seems to be sucking the cartridges dry. How much magenta (photo magenta, to be specific) can really be in these images? Magenta is pink, right? I am printing pumpkins, barns and winter scenes. I suppose my software would show me just one ink color in an image if I could find the right setting. Someday I’ll try it.

A compromise: the image from my
business card, and also one that I
KNOW uses lots of magenta.
Meanwhile, I am having other... concerns. Not doubts, really, but two things in particular are on my mind. The first is, I am wondering when I will finally make a sale. A sale would be very nice and would take the pressure off regarding when the first sale will finally be and whether anyone really does like these “fantastic” images enough to actually buy one of them. One sale would help. The second thing I am wondering is what I will focus on after this Saturday. I was lucky enough to get two relatively easy-to-get-my-brain-around events on back to back weekends. Now that the first is over and the second is three days away (and I have put more than a few hundred dollars into inventory), I find myself trying to line up the next event before I even know what I’m going to print for this one. I’m pretty sure that that’s the right direction to be headed, but I also know that, with my personality (read ADD here), I love to start things but don’t always finish them-finishing is hard. If I don’t finish planning for Saturday’s event, there won’t be one and then I would only have myself to blame if I don’t sell anything that day.

For now, it’s time to finish up here and get to work. You already know that I have given up on the business card picture, so if you want to see them you will have to look me up and I will be happy to give you one in person. Then maybe we can continue our conversation about photography face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment